Miami School Zone Accident Lawyer
The Law Offices of Wolfson & Leon represent clients badly hurt in Miami school zone accidents. Getting medical attention and financial help your child needs when seriously injured is critical. You can contact us today for a free legal consultation by calling 305-285-1115 if a negligent driver severely wounded your child.
School zones are designated areas to help keep children safe as they walk or ride their bikes to school. These special zones have reduced speed limits to deter drivers from speeding by children walking to school or home. In addition, Florida has specialized laws in place to prevent common driver distractions which could lead to school zone accidents.
But when a school zone accident occurs, it can leave children with devastating injuries. A child hit by a moving vehicle could suffer from severe head trauma, internal bleeding, crushed or broken bones, or severe organ damage.Causes of School Zone Accidents in Miami
Sadly, school zone accidents claim the lives of nearly 100 children walking to or from school nationwide each year. An estimated 25,000 injuries are sustained by children walking in school zones.
Drivers must stay alert and operate their vehicles carefully in and around school zones and schools. While some school zones have crossing guards to help children in the crosswalk, not all do. Schoolchildren may not look both ways as they enter a crosswalk or may run out on the street.
Some children ride their bikes to school. A child on a bike could lose his balance and fall on the road when riding through a crosswalk or sidewalk.
When drivers fail to exercise reasonable care, it can lead to a severe accident in a Miami school zone. Drivers may cause a school zone accident for a variety of reasons, including:
- Distractions – Drivers must pay attention while traveling through a school zone. A driver who glances at their phone or radio, even just for a few seconds, could hit a child as they cross the street.
- Inexperience – A teenage driver may lack experience of traveling through school zones. Drivers without experience may not anticipate children running out in the street or crossing in front of their vehicle.
- Speeding – The speed limits change around school zones. Drivers who fail to obey posted speed limit signs may not be able to stop in time if a child steps out into their path.
- Failure to follow traffic rules – Drivers must yield to pedestrians in crosswalks. Sometimes, drivers stop in school zones to pick up or drop off children. Failing to stop in a designated drop-off or pick-up area could lead to a rear-end crash if the vehicle is hit from behind. Pedestrians or bicycle riders could be hit if car doors are opened in their path.
Florida has several laws to help keep children safe walking or riding their bikes in school zones.
- Florida Statute 316.1895 sets the school zone speed limit at a minimum of 15 miles per hour and a maximum of 20 miles per hour. Plus, school zone limits are to be in force 30 minutes before and up to 30 minutes after the time children arrive or leave school.
- Florida Statute 316:305 prohibits texting and driving in school zones.
- Florida Statute 316.306 prohibits the use of handheld cell phones in school and work zones.
Even if the driver doesn’t violate school zone laws, they may still be found negligent if they fail to operate their vehicles safely.Miami School Zone Accident Law Firm
When your child has suffered severe injuries at the hands of a negligent driver, they may need extensive care and treatment to recover from the damage. Parents need to know what legal rights they have to financial compensation so they can get the care their child needs. This is especially critical if the injuries result in life-long damage where a child needs continuous care.
The Miami school zone accident lawyers at Wolfson & Leon are dedicated to getting justice for their clients. When you hire us to defend your child's rights, our team stays with you every step of the way. We collaborate with our clients to build a defensible case. Whether in court or at the negotiating table, we are prepared to defend your rights and pursue the best settlement possible.
If your child was seriously injured walking or riding in a Miami school zone, we encourage you to call Wolfson & Leon today for a free assessment of your case at 305-285-1115.