Key Biscayne Truck Accident Lawyer
Large trucks are a common sight on South Florida roads. You might see delivery trucks and 18-wheelers transporting food, equipment, and supplies. Contractors and construction companies often use dump trucks, concrete mixers, and other heavy vehicles to haul materials and equipment to the job site.
Trucks serve the critical purpose of transporting heavy or oversized loads. However, large trucks can be dangerous to other road and highway vehicles. Cars are no match for the weight and size of a large truck.
When large truck accidents happen, the damage can be catastrophic. You could suffer extensive injuries when you are hit by a large truck; you may need emergency care, surgery, and an extended hospital stay. Your injuries may keep you from returning to work, and you may need in-home care.
If someone you love has been severely injured or lost their life in a large truck accident, you should speak with a best Key Biscayne accident lawyer. You could be compensated for your medical costs, pain and suffering, and lost income. Find out what legal rights you have when severely injured by a commercial truck in Key Biscayne by calling Wolfson & Leon today at 305-285-1115 for your free consultation.Common Causes of Key Biscayne Large Truck Accidents
A catastrophic accident can happen when a large truck collides with another vehicle or object on the road. Common causes of large truck accidents in Key Biscayne include:
- Speed: The weight and size of a large truck makes it difficult to slow down. When a truck travels over the speed limit, the driver may not be able to stop safely or avoid a crash.
- Impairment: Truck drivers can travel for hours every day. Drowsy or tired truck drivers may not be able to react quickly if a car pulls out in front of them or if traffic suddenly stops.
- Failure to follow road rules: Truck drivers are expected to adhere to the rules of the road. If the driver runs a red light or stop sign, drives too closely behind other vehicles, or speeds, they could cause a serious, even fatal, accident.
- Weight: Large trucks may transport equipment, gravel, or other heavy objects. If the cargo is adequately secured, it could fly or fall off and hit other vehicles on the road. Other times, the added weight from the cargo could make it even more difficult to stop or slow down.
- Mechanical failures: Trucks should be regularly inspected and maintained. If the truck driver or trucking company doesn’t take steps to ensure the truck is in good working order, a mechanical failure could happen and cause an accident. In some cases, the truck’s equipment could be defective and malfunction.
- Dangerous weather: A truck driver could hit another vehicle on the road if weather conditions affect their ability to see. When roads become slippery due to heavy rains or thunderstorms, a large truck could slide into another vehicle or obstacle if the driver can’t stop safely.
A large truck accident is unlike a typical car crash. Since truck drivers are on the road for business reasons, a Key Biscayne truck accident case often considers:
- Responsibility: When large trucks are involved, multiple parties may share fault for the accident. Aside from the truck driver, other parties who may play a role include the trucking company, the truck manufacturer, the cargo company, and the truck’s owner.
- Negligence: A truck driver should exercise care while operating their vehicle. Truck drivers could be found negligent when they fail to do so. However, you must demonstrate that negligence on behalf of the driver or another party, such as the trucking company or manufacturer, caused the accident. Your injuries are not enough to prove negligence. Instead, you must show the damage caused by the driver’s negligence, and you suffered a financial cost.
Drivers often work for big trucking companies that could lose a lot of money if sued. So, trucking companies may be motivated to keep their payout as low as possible. They may hire their own investigators to evaluate the accident. Or the trucking company could offer to settle quickly to minimize their liability.
It may not be in your best interest to settle quickly. If your injuries are extensive, you may require much more medical care than doctors initially anticipated. The time you need to recuperate could be far longer than expected. But if you accept a settlement too soon, it may not be enough to cover the cost of your medical care and lost income.
If you were injured in a large truck accident, consult a best Key Biscayne large truck accident lawyer as soon as possible. At Wolfson & Leon, our large truck accident lawyers vigorously defend the rights of people severely hurt in large truck accidents. We understand the physical and emotional pain accident victims face, and we work tirelessly to reach the best settlement possible.
To find out how Wolfson & Leon may be able to help, call 305-285-1115 today for your free and confidential case evaluation.